Unable to attend the funeral they decided to write a letter to Teta.
I am sharing their letter because it demonstrates the immense love they have for Teta, their tremendous characters and formidable resilience!
We are very sad that you left this life as a young lady. We miss you but now we have another pair of eyes in the sky looking over us. You were a fantastic grandma who would do traditional grandmother things like; cook for us, knit, and love us. We have many great memories with you and we will never forget them.
Here is a list of our cherished memories we had with you:
- Teta giving us the best part of the lettuce.
- Peeling apples and fruits at night while we watch TV.
- Watching Arabic and Turkish soap operas, especially Noor.
- Going to Macy’s with Teta and all her discounts.
- Teta cooking Etaif and other great foods like, shushbarac, grape leaves, upside down chicken, taboule, spinach pies, cheese pies, meat pizzas, and many other delicious foods.
- Never got mad at us, had the patience to deal with us even when we were a pain in the butt.
- Knitting blankets, scarfs, and dresses for us.
- Tucking us in at night.
- Having sleepovers with Selin and Burak.
- Making us zatar and hummus in the mornings.
- We always have fun on Sunday’s.
- You trying to teach us Arabic.
- Giving Dan Dune and Saf Sufe jewelry (that’s our nick names)
- Accepting our dogs in your life even though you’re a cat person like mama.
- Us cooking with you and learning from your skills.
- You coming with us to Guarapo and eating the food that you loved.
Teta I love you so much I hope you visit us and everybody that you love when you’re up there. I remember when we were very little we used to play with the casadas and dress up with them and make little houses for them with you like it was yesterday. Even though you were still young when you left us we still love you and I want you to know that everything happens for a reason. This morning I woke up and my dad came to me and sad he had bad news I didn’t know what he was going to say. He said that you passed away. At first I thought he was lying then I saw tears in his eyes and my sister came in crying I was sad but I had to be prepared. Now you know my dad loves you. Before we left to Washington D.C my dad sad to all of us we are going for two things to wake her up or to say goodbye. He was right we did go for one of those things but it wasn’t what we hoped for we got the worst. But I am not that sad because I know it happened for a reason and I know your still with us up there. We spend as much time with you as we could so I’m happy we did. I know your watching us because tonight there will be a very shiny star and that will be you looking over us. Teta I want you to know I love and will always love you.
Love and kisses
Isa A.K.A suf sufe!
Teta, you could make any one smile if they saw how much you cared for us. I was extremely sad when I heard your death but now I am gifted to write this letter to you. I know they say you are looking down on me but I am looking up to you. If I go through tuff times I will know you are watching and I can look up to you for advice. But on a happy note Jiddo is going to come live with us, and your back pain finally ended. I know you are up there laughing with me and I am proud to say I was with you at Alexandria Hospital. Thanks for having patience with us and letting us sleep at your house every Sunday. You and Jido really were the building blocks of my childhood.
“Our dead are never dead to us, until we have forgotten them.” I hope I will never forget you.
Thank You, and Goodbye.
Teta, I love you so much. I miss you so much, but I know you are now resting in peace. You are the best grandmother anybody could ever have. You have taught me so much and I love and will never forget all the memories we have together. I know you are watching me and I will always look up to you. I know you are relaxing now and have no troubles. I love you and I hope your doing well. You are a young lady to be in the heavens but I know something good comes out of something bad. Jiddo is going to be with us in Spain and Ecuador and we are going have a lot of fun with you. I know you are smiling with me. You are the best Teta in the world and Jiddo is the best Jiddo in the world. I love you both and I miss you. I didn’t want this to happen to you but everything in the world has a reason. I will never forget you as the best grandmother in the universe, not only the world.
Daniela or Dan Doune